Modelling approaches using Ecoinvent Datasets

edsacayon

Modelling approaches using Ecoinvent Datasets

Post by edsacayon » 14 Apr 2016 01:09

Hi there!

I am using the ecoinvent allocation cut-off system models datasets, and I modelling the energy mix for Guatemala as a case study. I am used to copying and pasting processess and then changing values to adapt them to local conditions. Usually reverse engineering entire ecoinvent energy system models and then modifying them to local conditions. For example I copied and pasted the Mexican mix to begin with, and then started to trace the flow and processess backwards.

I notice however that some times you cant delete the input flows of a process, or that you cant change the reference flow.

What is the correct modelling approach for new system processess? Considering you can use Ecoinvent Datasets for background infrastructure and even foreground (adapted) data?

Do you need to create:
1. Flow
2. Processes
3. Product Systems

In that order?

Or is there a specific way to build models in openLCA.

Thanks in avance!

Edgar Eduardo

aciroth

Re: Modelling approaches using Ecoinvent Datasets

Post by aciroth » 14 Apr 2016 12:12

Hi Eduardo,

the "hierarchy sequence" that you present is correct (flows, then processes, then product systems). You can remove a flow from process provided it is not
a) the reference flow, or
b) used in a product system

You cannot change the reference flow if it is the only product in a process.
a specific way to build models in openLCA.
: It is maybe a good idea if we make a tutorial about this, thank you for the suggestion.

Hope this helps!
Andreas