Can't depict the product system in Model graph

Christo P

Can't depict the product system in Model graph

Post by Christo P » 08 Mar 2016 22:41

Hi Andreas,
I address you, or someone in the forum, in the hope that you can help me by commenting the following case:
I'm trying to build up a product system that contains several processes. I have defined the quantitative references and created input and output flows for each process of the upstream. Next, the product system was defined by its name, reference process, and the both options ("Add connected processes" and "Connect with system processes if possible") were ticked. Surprising (for me), the result was not what I expected. The model graph produces only a box with the name of reference process. No other processes of the upstream, no connections between output and input flows of the processes?!

Right clicking on the box submit a list of options from which "Build supply chain" > "Complete" does nothing.

The following snapshot of Statistics tab shows Number of processes 1 and Number of links 0. Why?
At that point, I have to mention:
- I have not set parameters for the processes and product system yet;
- I use openLCA version 1.4.2, Windows 32 bits;
- I use ELCD v. 3.1, greendelta v.2.

So, my question is: Why can not be depicted/traced the processes and links of the product system in the Model graph? What Is reason for that? - setting parameters for the processes, or something else that I missed to do?

Thanks in advance.
Chris P

aciroth

Re: Can't depict the product system in Model graph

Post by aciroth » 10 Mar 2016 19:45

Hi Chris,
it seems the image is no longer available - one simple reason could be that the process does not have a supply chain. Many of the processes of the ELCD database are system processes. Can you please check? Second reason could be that the database does not contain a process which is providing a required product. Check search provider.. when right-clicking on the process box.
Hth,
Andreas

Christo P

Re: Can't depict the product system in Model graph

Post by Christo P » 11 Mar 2016 01:57

Hi Andreas,
Thanks for your advice.
I checked once again the flows and processes of my model and found out the mistake. It was mine, of course - the list of input and output product flows (of the last process in the upstream) was empty. I repeated everything I've done before. It was said somewhere that repetitions are the mother of knowledge. Anyway, I got my first model graph, and I should open the door of LCI Analysis done with openLCA.
But your words on ELCD database made me to be more critical about the flows and processes it provides. I'm not able to compare ELCD with ecoinvent as I don't have the last one. So, browsing the processes and flows included in ELCD, I notice that some important processes are missing, e.g. ceramic brick production and refractories, the group of insulation materials, different paints and chemicals, processes comprising operation with heavy machines like excavators, front loaders, graders, scrapers, concrete pumps, forklifts, etc. All of these items have significant environmental impacts when being produced and used in the practice of Building Industry.
Regards,
Chris P.