Dataset Management

LAM

Dataset Management

Post by LAM » 02 Dec 2013 23:35

Hello

I am wondering what is the best way to manage databases in OpenLCA such that updating datasets is most efficient?

Should you have one OpenLCA database with all your projects and all your datasets?

Or is it best to have multiple databases placing appropriate datasets within each of them?

I am not sure how datasets are updated, but would like to avoid having to do it multiple times for multiple databases if possible.

aciroth

Re: Dataset Management

Post by aciroth » 03 Dec 2013 13:17

Hello, good question!
We have one client who integrated everything in one database but this can get quite large. I personally would recommend using different databases and integrate only those data sets that you need. Maybe others can comment also.
Thanks!
Andreas

LAM

Post by LAM » 04 Dec 2013 22:54

Is the downside of this, that when there is an update, you have to update all your databases? Could you explain how for example an update to ecoinvent would be handled in both scenarios?

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 06 Dec 2013 12:44

Thanks, we will write a tutorial about this.

In a nutshell, the approach that I prefer is to create a new database in openLCA, import the updated database there, export your processes and product systems as ILCD, and then import it into the new database. That works well if you did not modify datasets int he updated database that you want to maintain.

If you have changed the processes in the database that is updated, import your product systems and processes first into a new openLCA database with reference data and import the updated database next.

Best wishes,
Andreas

LAM

Post by LAM » 06 Dec 2013 21:30

Yes, that sounds like a good approach.

Thanks!