differente results in the alu can vs pet bottle" case study

Sara

differente results in the alu can vs pet bottle" case study

Post by Sara » 13 Aug 2013 16:10

Hi,
I'm following the tutorial about beer bottle case study. I've followed all the instructions until chapter 3 and I obtained some different results from the ones specified in the tutorial.
1. chapter 3.4, build the ALU can model: openLCA did automatically the correction about the aluminum secondary and aluminum recycling...I checked the graph and it's exactly how it should be as described in the tutorial. Maybe an improvement related to 1.3 version??
2. When it comes to comparison of the two product systems, the results are very different and the ALU can system has significantly higher impacts than PET bottel. That is the opposite result of the tutorial. You can see in the image below
chart.png
chart.png (29.14 KiB) Viewed 9602 times

I repeated the exercise twice and I always obtained this result.
I would like to understand if I did something wrong...do you have any idea?

Thanks a lot,
Sara

greve

Re: differente results in the alu can vs pet bottle" case st

Post by greve » 20 Aug 2013 17:20

Hi Sara,

actually this is a bug in openLCA. Thanks for reporting it. We already fixed the issue and the fix will be available with the next version, which is likely to be released in beginning of September.

Best regards,

Sebastian

Sara

Post by Sara » 20 Aug 2013 21:40

Thanks Sebastian.
I have to specify that I posted a graph that I had by trying some modifications in the tutorial exercise. By using the exact figures of the tutorial the graph was a little different from the one I posted but also still very different from the tutorial results...so I didn't re-post the right image.
Anyway, it's good to know that you have already fixed the problem, thanks for your important work.

Sara

Sara

Post by Sara » 29 Aug 2013 12:01

Hi,
just to have a further confirmation referring to my previous post: I obtained different results also in the comparison of ALU can recycling scenarios (see the picture below). Is this related to the same bug you mentioned?
chart_recyclingALU.png
chart_recyclingALU.png (36.96 KiB) Viewed 8984 times
Thanks again,
Sara

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 02 Sep 2013 14:09

Hi Sara,
yes indeed. We will update the case study examples, thanks!
Andreas