ECDL database import

pierluigi

ECDL database import

Post by pierluigi » 18 Jun 2010 18:51

Hi All,
thanks for the nice and interesting project.

Can anyone explain me a step by step procedure to import th ECDL database from here : http://lca.jrc.ec.europa.eu/lcainfohub/download.vm
Sorry for the easy question but I tried in different ways but without success.
Thanks
Pierluigi

aciroth

Re: ECDL database import

Post by aciroth » 20 Jun 2010 23:45

Hi pierluigi,

maybe this is a question for us (and i needed to edit my previous post because after some tests it was more problematic than I had described).

Ecoinvent and ELCD are fundamentally different in how they deal with processes; in ELCD, a process is independent from the product and from the quantitative reference, in EcoSpold, product / quantitative reference and process are almost the same. As a consequence, in ELCD there are several transport processes where the product is the same but the process is different, and these will be converted to the same process names in EcoSpold when using the converter.

in principle, and that was my old answer, you can do as follows:
1. download the complete database
2. download also the format converter, version 2 (from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openlca ... p/download), unzip, and start the converter
3. convert, by using the format converter, the whole database (ie all process datasets in the zip file) to EcoSpold1 format
4. zip these newly created datasets (not necessary but easier for the next step)
5. import this zip file into openLCA

However, due to the fundamental differences in product and process understanding a conversion will not produce all processes in EcoSpold.

The new version of openLCA will include an import of the ELCD database (in the current ILCD format). It will be available "rather soon" - please understand that it is somewhat difficult to predict but if all goes well this will be a matter of two weeks or so.

Thanks, Andreas

pierluigi

Re: ECDL database import

Post by pierluigi » 05 Jul 2010 10:33

Thanks Andreas,

your method works fine for me.
Pierluigi