"Prefer: Unit/System process" function with ecoinvent

francois.saunier

"Prefer: Unit/System process" function with ecoinvent

Post by francois.saunier » 20 Jul 2016 22:39

Dear openLCA community,

I'm trying to use the "build supply chain" function in a combined version of ecoinvent 3.2 which contains both Unit and System datasets. Hovever, I'm not able to connect System processes to a Unit process with the "Built next tier" function and the "Prefer: System process" option. Independently of the choice for the Prefer option, Unit systems are always selected.

I've been doing some tests and it appear that this came from the "Default provider" option in the processes. Each input flow in the ecoinvent unit processes have the related unit process selected as a default provider. System processes are then never selected even if the "Prefer: System process" option is selected in the building of the supply chain. (and inversely, if a system process is selected as default provider, it's not possible to link a unit process with the "build supply chain" function). But without a default provider, the Prefer option is working !

Does anyone experience the same problem ?
Don't you think that it will be useful to have a "unit" version of the ecoinvent database without the default providers to enable the 'build supply chain" function to be used at its full potential ?

Thanks,
François

aciroth

Re: "Prefer: Unit/System process" function with ecoinvent

Post by aciroth » 21 Jul 2016 12:50

Thank you François,
I agree of course - as it is now, the default provider "overwrites" here the system process setting and therefore the connection to the unit process is set. We discuss if we should not change that.
Thank you,
Andreas