Which modelling method for my LCA study

zaynab

Which modelling method for my LCA study

Post by zaynab » 22 Nov 2017 12:20

Hi everyone
I want to use OpenLCA for my LCA study on building and I don’t know which modelling method to use. My question came because the majority of the LCI modelling have been developed for Europe, north America or Japan, while my study is for Morocco, a country in north Africa so I’m searching for an international/ Global method.
I found that Impact 2002+ has a multicontinental version which was established by Rochat et al. 2006, So I want to know if this version is implemented in the ecoinvent database for OpenLCA software or there is just the basic one developed for Europe. Otherwise, would you suggest me other valid method for my geographical zone?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards!

aciroth

Re: Which modelling method for my LCA study

Post by aciroth » 23 Nov 2017 16:08

Hi, this is a topic often discussed, and the decision for one or the other method should be documented and explained in goal and scope of a study. Commonly used are CML (e.g. often in construction, Germany), ReCiPe (ecoinvent context) and ILCD (European projects)). Also more detailed approaches such as AWARE are gaining attention, and could be interesting if you are into water footprint.
For openLCA we do not yet have Impact2002+ but it is in preparation.
Best wishes,
Andreas

zaynab

Post by zaynab » 23 Nov 2017 17:38

Thank you Andreas for your answer,

As you know, basically all methods were developed for specific geographical zones at first, I want to know if openLCA has implemented a method adapted for other continents or countries (Morocco/ North Africa). Because, when I evaluate the impact of a product in my country, it should give me the regional and/or the global environmental impact of it.
For CML, I found that all the impacts are estimated globally, except for acidification and photooxidants which were estimated for Europe. But I don't know which version is implemented on openLCA and if there is another version or another method that have global estimated characterization factors and therefore could be used for studies in Africa.

Best regards!

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 24 Nov 2017 12:24

Hi again, you are of course right - if you are aware of a method that reflects North Africa specifically, we'd be happy to implement it..
Best wishes