Linking Product Systems & Calculate

UdeshikaWM

Linking Product Systems & Calculate

Post by UdeshikaWM » 23 Mar 2015 07:22

Hi openLCA team,

I am new to openLCA and just started to do a sample model before using it for true case study.

I am using openLCA 1.4.1 version and ecoinvent3_1_allocation_defaul_lci as my database.

My total project is to analyse the Green Roof Life cycle by considering 3 basic stages; initial construction stage, maintenance stage and end of life. Briefly whole system looks like below.
Forum_Linking Processes & analysing.jpg
Forum_Linking Processes & analysing.jpg (196.82 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
I need to calculate separate values for each three stages of the projects and also total impacts of the all processes. So is there any way to segregate each system processes for my calculations.
As ex: impacts of Land transport (tansport,freight,lorry 16-32 metric ton,EYR03-GLO) for each stages (here I consider them as product systems).
As I am doing this model to Singapore/Malaysia/Indonesia region I always used GLO values and same provider for each input. So it's difficult to find out results for different stages as at the end all the values are shown base on one system process.

But I feel, if I do 3 different product systems for each stage I will be able to find result I need. But when I am considering whole life cycle I need to interconnect 3 Product Systems together and then can do calculation. (Please correct If my understanding is wrong)

So what I missing is way of "interconnecting(linking) product systems"

So please advise me how to interconnect Product systems together and then calculate for whole system.

Thank you & Regards,

Udeshika
Last edited by UdeshikaWM on 24 Mar 2015 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

aciroth

Re: Linking Product Systems & Calculate

Post by aciroth » 23 Mar 2015 11:09

Hi Udeshika,
great question. So far, openLCA is like SimaPro, you cannot link several product systems with each other and build a new and larger product system from it. This is however definitely a feature that we would like to implement (if anyone has funds for this, let us know ;)).
However at present, you can achieve what you need with the grouping function in the analysis to some extent directly in openLCA (to some extent since you will be able to select the processes in the different life cycle stages and have their result presented separately, but common processes as transport, which occur in different stages, are not assigned to these stages obviously.
You are fully able to meet what you need by creating separate product systems, for each of the three life cycle stages one, export each analysis result to excel, and aggregate it there.
Hope this helps!
Andreas

UdeshikaWM

Re: Linking Product Systems & Calculate

Post by UdeshikaWM » 23 Mar 2015 11:46

Hi Andreas,

Thanks a lot for your quick and straight forward response. I will try for grouping function to analyse and sort the result for the moment. By the way I am still learning. So may be I'l contact you later for more information.

Thanks

Udeshika