Modelling a contruction project

tgaudet

Modelling a contruction project

Post by tgaudet » 26 Jun 2013 18:52

Hello,

I am a 4th year mechanical engineering student and I have been tasked with performing a life cycle assessment on a construction project at my school. It is going to consist of an array of solar panels which will be used to power some DC charging stations for electric vehicles.

I am completely new to the LCA process. Basically I am very lost so far, even after reading all of the case studies and tutorials. I don't even know where to start asking questions. Part of the project involves a lot of concrete. I am trying to model the concrete forms which consist of 2 x 4's and 19 mm plywood. I have the USLCI database installed which contains processes for "wood product manufacturing" and "forestry and logging". the way I want to model this is by using the forestry and logging which should take care of materials extraction, and use the wood product manufacturing which should take care of the lumber and plywood manufacture which then gets transported to the site and assembled. Is this possible to do, and if so, how would I get this started? I know that this is like asking someone to do my job for me, but I really need to figure out at least where to start. If I can get this component modeled, I feel confident that I can apply what I learned to all of the other components.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Thomas

aciroth

Re: Modelling a contruction project

Post by aciroth » 29 Jun 2013 12:53

Hi Thomas,
I understand that it is hard to apply and use openLCA without some background in LCA. I would therefore recommend either a training in openLCA (where we "teach" also LCA background so that attendees are able to use openLCA in a sound and efficient way, for their case studies and applications), or also a guided case study. Our next training in English language is quite soon (June 11, 12) in Berlin, see please here: http://www.openlca.org/trainings. We also offer online trainings (given that may be based in Canada, according to your email). A guided case study would probably also make sense but is more expensive, it usually takes us three consulting days. For (not so much more) details, see here: http://www.openlca.org/services.
Hope this helps, best wishes,
Andreas

EmmettWard

Re: Modelling a contruction project

Post by EmmettWard » 14 Jan 2014 11:49

tgaudet wrote:Hello,

I am a 4th year mechanical engineering student and I have been tasked with performing a life cycle assessment on a construction project at my school. It is going to consist of an array of peimar solar which will be used to power some DC charging stations for electric vehicles.

I am completely new to the LCA process. Basically I am very lost so far, even after reading all of the case studies and tutorials. I don't even know where to start asking questions. Part of the project involves a lot of concrete. I am trying to model the concrete forms which consist of 2 x 4's and 19 mm plywood. I have the USLCI database installed which contains processes for "wood product manufacturing" and "forestry and logging". the way I want to model this is by using the forestry and logging which should take care of materials extraction, and use the wood product manufacturing which should take care of the lumber and plywood manufacture which then gets transported to the site and assembled. Is this possible to do, and if so, how would I get this started? I know that this is like asking someone to do my job for me, but I really need to figure out at least where to start. If I can get this component modeled, I feel confident that I can apply what I learned to all of the other components.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Thomas
Were you able to complete the project? It seems very exciting one.. I would love to work on similar project so please share exact details.