Is it possible to restore deleted process from a database?

Christo P

Is it possible to restore deleted process from a database?

Post by Christo P » 22 Nov 2016 02:04

Hi to all,

Unfortunately, I deleted by mistake a process from the ELCD database category “Processes/Materials production/Metals and semimetals”. As the model I’m creating is not completed yet and I need to use the deleted process, my question is how to restore it.
And something more: Is it possible exchange of data sets files amongst openLCA users? Does any repository of elcd 3_1_greendelta_v2 exist for download of missing data sets?

Thanks in advance.

Chris P

aciroth

Re: Is it possible to restore deleted process from a databas

Post by aciroth » 24 Nov 2016 10:14

Hi Chris,
good questions, and sorry for my reply to your first one: no a restore is not possible from the openLCA database. If this is an unmodified ELCD process, you can of course reimport the ELCD database and it will add the process you deleted.
2nd question: We are indeed planning this, an exchange of data sets among openLCA users, maybe we can have direct exchange so that we can discuss better - let me know.
Best wishes,
Andreas

- you posted in the 1.4 sectoin but my answers are also for openLCA 1.5

Christo P

Re: Is it possible to restore deleted process from a database?

Post by Christo P » 03 Dec 2016 21:48

Hi Andreas,
Thanks for your replies, and please, let me ask little bit more on the problem of restoring deleted elements of openLCA, based on your replies:

a) The process that was deleted by me had been is an unmodified ELCD process. If I re-import the entire ELCD database over the existing openLCA structure, what would happen with my current model that I’m developing? My model is integrated in the database structure too, and I’m afraid that the model (with its flows, processes, product system) would be changed/damaged or deleted.

b) Or, as an alternative of above approach, I should first export my own flows, processes and product systems (i. e. my model) in the appropriate file formats, next re-import the ELCD and finally, re-import my model’s files back to openLCA?

Should I understand that a re-import of ELCD will add only the missing component(s) of the existing instance of the database?

Thanks in advance.

Chris P

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 06 Dec 2016 10:27

Hi, thank you for asking this detailed ->
a) yes; currently, in absence of user input for the import, elements are imported that are not present in the database. No updates and no overwrites will take place. So in your case, you can indeed reimport ELCD and the removed process will be present after the import, and any modified processes will remain and will not be overwritten.
b) this sounds somewhat complicated, you can indeed export your models from one openLCA version, import them into another database, and then import into this database a "fresh" ELCD database. This will also then add the original ELCD process you are missing now.
Hope this helps,
Andreas

Christo P

Post by Christo P » 07 Dec 2016 11:58

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your prompt reply.
The comments on my questions made by you will save me a lot of time.
Also, I’ll be surer when working with openLCA.

Best regards.
Chris P.