Problem with inventory

Vivien SFG

Problem with inventory

Post by Vivien SFG » 24 Sep 2015 14:40

Hi,
I'm doing an LCA of a windturbine with elcd 3.1 database.
The modelling part is fine, my only problem is the impact assessment part: not all the processes are taken into account in the analysis.
For example if I take a product system of only one manufacturing process and one transport process, the inventory will only address the emissions of the second process and forget the first one. Yet the two processes are connected, and the emissions are well inventoried if I analyse them separately.
I've been trying many solutions, but the only thing that worked was to set the first process as reference process of the product system and then connect it with the down stream processes, instead of choosing the last process.
Do you have any idea of what can be wrong?

aciroth

Re: Problem with inventory

Post by aciroth » 25 Sep 2015 13:46

Hello Vivien,
not sure I fully understand your issue (
instead of choosing the last process
?), but you should indeed create the product system so that the functional unit of your LCA model is delivered by one final process. This is always possible.
Hth,
Andreas

Vivien SFG

Post by Vivien SFG » 25 Sep 2015 14:02

Hi Andreas,
Thanks for your answer.
So I kept on trying new things and I found out that if I connect all the processes manually in the graphic editor everything works fine.
But the problem remains if I ask openLCA to automatically connect the processes when creating the product system, it will only take into account the inputs/outputs of the last process in the supply chain.
Do you see what I mean?

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 25 Sep 2015 14:56

Thank you, I think I get it. You could also model your system so that the last process in the supply chain delivers the functional unit of the product system - that is what I meant. This last process will then not be the last in the real life cycle (so some end-of-life process) but a process that could be called "life cycle" or so.