Adding New Units

EzraKahn

Adding New Units

Post by EzraKahn » 28 Feb 2014 18:24

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this is a repost. I am struggling with adding new units to OLCA and exporting them to ILCD .xml. The unit will go to the OLCA unit groups category without trouble, but upon export, the new unit does not appear in the .xml. Any advice would be appreciated.

For reference: I am using OLCA 1.4.0 from downloaded Jan 8th.

Thanks in advance,

Ezra

aciroth

Re: Adding New Units

Post by aciroth » 01 Mar 2014 13:43

Hi Ezra,
what are you exporting - a process that contains this new unit? Or the unit group?
Also, we had 2 new releases of the 1.4 beta version since beginning of January, and especially import and export features have been added later more in detail. Can you please try with the beta III from January 24?
Cheers
Andreas

EzraKahn

Post by EzraKahn » 03 Mar 2014 19:56

Hi Andreas,

I was attempting to export just unit groups. I have encountered no problems with the Beta III release, thank you for your assistance.

Ezra

EzraKahn

Post by EzraKahn » 10 Mar 2014 18:09

Hi Andreas,

I would like to ask a follow up question apropos to this topic. When using ILCD to import a dataset, is it possible to import a flow that has a unit that is not the reference unit of the UnitGroups folder? My understanding is: ILCD uses the flow property to define the units of a flow by addressing a file representing a unit group with a set of units. One unit in that unit group is defined as the reference unit in the unitgroups xml, and all flows addressing that unitgroups file seem to be assigned that unit as default.

I have been able to assign a flow a different unit from that unit group by creating a new unitgroups file with the different unit as the reference unit, but then when importing into olca, a second unit group is added to the units in the dataset, which is less than ideal.

Thanks again for your time,

Ezra

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 12 Mar 2014 17:16

Hi Ezra,
indeed, the current import in openLCA is quite stupid in the sense that it often does not check whether reference data has been modified. We are currently working on an improved mapping to overcome this; this should become part of the openLCA 1.4 (non-beta) release.
Hth,
Andreass