How to import openLCA-generated excel files

gnicki

How to import openLCA-generated excel files

Post by gnicki » 15 Apr 2016 10:22

Hello,

As in the subject, I get an error (at least it seems so) when trying to import openLCA-generated excel files. These are simply the files that I have exported from the calculation results of a product system. I do this so that I can import the results and look at them whenever needed, without having to redo the calculation. (which takes up all my computer's RAM)

Each time I import the results file a totally blank process gets created. See below. You can see that I have tried to import 4 times, as there are 4 new blank processes.
Blank process from results file.JPG
Blank process from results file.JPG (67.96 KiB) Viewed 11380 times
Anyone having this issue?

My overall assumption is that with openLCA you could save the results of calculations as excel files, and then import those results in the user-friendly software whenever you wanted to view the results again, without having to repeat the calculations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ; )

Geoff

aciroth

Re: How to import openLCA-generated excel files

Post by aciroth » 16 Apr 2016 13:07

Hi Geoff,
The product system calculation result excel files are something else than process data sets therefore you cannot expect to create automatically a process from the calculation results. If you have a look at the excel files this hopefully becomes clear. Idea for the excel export is to allow for further analysis and for creation of graphics asf. Processes can be exported as excel files as well, and these excel files can be used to create again processes in openLCA.
Best wishes,
Andreas

gnicki

Post by gnicki » 18 Apr 2016 08:05

Okay I get it -- Thanks Andreas.

Geoff

AdB

Post by AdB » 30 Oct 2017 21:25

Hi Andreas,

As regards exporting a process to create a new one : once we get the exported Excel file, can we only change the input and output flows in it with the flows of our process,and erase the rest of the Excel data? Or leave the rest as it is? Or change it too (and what parts, because there are 15 different tabs and I don't really get how specific these information are to the process ? I would like to import LCI from an Excel list (Eurobitume and others) but I don't find any guidelines to do it (so sorry to ask if they exist).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,

Anne

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 31 Oct 2017 10:59

Hi Anne,
there are no public explanations so far but it is relatively easy to try out; you can change amounts of exchanges in input / output easily, if you add flows, these need to be also in the "flows" sheet and also in the flow property factor sheet. You should not delete the other sheets as they contain information for the elements referenced in the process input output sheet, with UUIDs (such as units, unit groups, flows, and so forth, which are needed for the import). You could delete / remove those elements that are not used in the process, currently just all resepctive elements of the database are pasted there. If you need further support you can of course contact me. We are also interested to create a less heavy and ideally configurable excel import/export sheet, if someone would be interested to support this that would be nice.
Best wishes,
Andreas

AdB

Post by AdB » 31 Oct 2017 17:13

Thank you Andreas.
I'll try with your explainations, and if I don't succeed in making it work I'll get in touch with you. I have to say I'm releaved all UUIDs are already in the tab because it seems a bit technical to me to enter these data.
Best,
Anne