Import data created by yourself

Cristina

Import data created by yourself

Post by Cristina » 25 Jul 2013 08:35

Hi! I am a new user of openLCA and only a couple of weeks ago I started to learn to handle it.
I have worked with NREL free database, and the corresponding evaluation methods (both links to download them are in openLCA download page).
My problem is that now, I need to create new flows and processes that are not in my database and I don't know how to do several things:
-Do I have to create these new data in excel??
-Once created, how do I convert these data in EcoSpold o ILCD format in order to import them into the program?
-Once imported, how do I now which evaluation method let me calculate the impact of them? because as I have understood, in order to assess the impact of elementary flows, these flows have to be contained in the selected evaluation method and as the new flows are created by myself, obviously its characterization factor will not be in the method of assessment , and I don't know what I have to do.
Best regards, and thanks a lot for your help!!!

aciroth

Re: Import data created by yourself

Post by aciroth » 25 Jul 2013 10:18

Hi Cristina,

well the easiest would be to create the flows and processes in openLCA, the procedure is always: right-click on the respective element in the category tree, e.g. for a new flow, on a flow category, and then create the element (e.g. the flow). There is a hierarchy, for a flow you need a unit and flow property, for a process a product flow, but that is it.

As an alternative, you could also create the process in an LCA format (EcoSpold, ILCD) and import it, but this would be more complicated I think.

Hth,
Andreas
2013-07-25 10_16_56-openLCA framework 1.3.0.png
2013-07-25 10_16_56-openLCA framework 1.3.0.png (12.26 KiB) Viewed 13255 times

malonso

Post by malonso » 30 Nov 2015 16:55

Hi!
I think I have a similar problem, I need to asses the global warming potential of a product. The databases available do not content all the process involved so I want to add new flows with their value of CO2 emissions that I found in the literature.
How could I do it?

Thanks in advanced

Maite

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 01 Dec 2015 10:28

..and did you try to follow my advice to Cristina? This should work also in your case.
Best,
Andreas

malonso

Post by malonso » 01 Dec 2015 10:41

Okey, I am trying to do it, so when I create a new flow, in reference flow property I should choose Global Warming Potential and then insert the data, right? This way I can add more process and flows knowing the CO2 emissions. Is it correct?
Thank you very much!
Maite

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 01 Dec 2015 23:54

Sorry, not correct - maybe you should first check e.g. the videos on the youtube channel (especially: how to create processes and products and product systems).
Hth, Andreas

malonso

Post by malonso » 02 Dec 2015 10:32

I think I learnt how to create process and product system but I do not have clear how to add a new element to the database with the value of CO2 emissions, sorry because I am a new user of openLCA.
For example, I need to add this: Zinc oxide with the data GWP=2.68 kg CO2 eq/kg material. When I create a new flow, where can I insert the data of gas emissions associated to the flow? I know the following steps to create the final product system.
Sorry for being so insistent

Thank you!
Maite