LCIA-import

mtheiler

LCIA-import

Post by mtheiler » 06 Jul 2010 08:47

Hello everyone

I have a question about the import of ecoinvent LCIA results:
Every time i try to import the LCIA result, the process suddenly stops and i end up back at the "assign units" window...
Is the import of LCIA results generally impossible or did i do something wrong?

Thanks for the answer

aciroth

Re: LCIA-import

Post by aciroth » 06 Jul 2010 10:08

hi,
good that you post the question here; the current EcoSpold import in openLCA is indeed not meant for the LCIA results (result_valuated). Reason for us to exclude them at present is that they cannot be used in calculations.
During the import, you are asked to assign units of the to-be-imported datasets to those units known in openLCA. This is useful if you want to include processes from different sources in one product system, and calculate one result for the product system; for the LCIA results, you will be asked to assign units like DALYS or person.ppm.h to existing units, and will need to create those units in advance, but this assignment will not be used later on.
The LCIA results can also be obtained by calculating product systems, for unit or system processes, with specific impact assessment methods. There may be a value to have the original ecoinvent results for reference though. Would this be interesting to you (others may respond as well)? It is not too difficult to provide a different import "branch" for LCIA results in a next version.

tspiderus

Re: LCIA-import

Post by tspiderus » 05 Jul 2012 12:51

aciroth wrote:hi,
good that you post the question here; the current EcoSpold import in openLCA is indeed not meant for the LCIA results (result_valuated). Reason for us to exclude them at present is that they cannot be used in calculations.
During the import, you are asked to assign units of the to-be-imported datasets to those units known in openLCA. This is useful if you want to include processes from different sources in one product system, and calculate one result for the product system; for the LCIA results, you will be asked to assign units like DALYS or person.ppm.h to existing units, and will need to create those units in advance, but this assignment will not be used later on.
The LCIA results can also be obtained by calculating product systems, for unit or system processes, with specific impact assessment methods. There may be a value to have the original ecoinvent results for reference though. Would this be interesting to you (others may respond as well)? It is not too difficult to provide a different import "branch" for LCIA results in a next version.
Hello,

I also try to import LCIA results from Ecoinvent DB and the import process doesn't work.

1. OpenLCA throws some errors (e.g. in console: "Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLIntegrityConstraintViolationException: Column 'id' cannot be null" or "ERROR - Parsing files failed") and the import stops. Example import filename: "DATA_V2.01_ira_proc_05072012_121717.xml".

2. From your above answer I understand that correct unit assignment at the begining of the import process is not that important since these units will not be used later on.

Thanks

PS: I'm a new user of Open LCA and still trying to learn the basics.
I also want to take this opportunity to say hi to all members!