NREL database import

aciroth

NREL database import

Post by aciroth » 17 Aug 2012 10:36

The NREL database (formerly at http://www.nrel.gov/lci, now at the USDA website (https://www.lcacommons.gov/nrel) is a US based database that is provided in EcoSpold format. Import into openLCA works fine, you only need to assign units for those units that are not recognised by openLCA (such sh.tn).

However, afterwards, you will realise that the processes do not combine to product systems, even if you click the autoconnect feature.

Reason for this is that the flow locations are not consistent in the database.

For example, the process "Electricity, at grid, US, 2000"
electricityatgrid_process.jpg
electricityatgrid_process.jpg (204.26 KiB) Viewed 16265 times
has an input product "Electricity, biomass, at power plant". This product has a geographic location of "RNA". A product Electricity, biomass, at power plant is also provided by a process in the NREL database
biomass_electricity.jpg
biomass_electricity.jpg (207.66 KiB) Viewed 16265 times
However, this product has a geographic location of "US".

If you create a product system, openLCA connects those flows where the location and the name are identical and the units convertible. And the location seems different for openLCA here (and I would say it also is since RNA is not only the US but I am living in Europe of course). So, a product system with Electricity, at grid, US, 2000 as the core process will contain only this process since linking to other processes fails.
electricity_grid_ps.jpg
electricity_grid_ps.jpg (101.17 KiB) Viewed 16265 times
It can of course be calculated but the results are identical to the process inputs and outputs.
electricity_at_grid_result.jpg
electricity_at_grid_result.jpg (156.25 KiB) Viewed 16265 times
As this is not what users may expect, we will contact USDA and NREL about this matter.

amlan35

Re: NREL database import

Post by amlan35 » 03 Mar 2015 22:16

It seems that this issue has not yet been resolved by the NREL. Is there a quick fix?

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 05 Mar 2015 09:59

We are working on integrating a clean version of NREL, I think this will be available within a week. Thanks for your continued interest!

Nellyb

Post by Nellyb » 18 Aug 2015 14:58

Forgive this complete n00b question, but I can't find a way to download the NREL database in a format that openLCA can import: all I can find is a folder full of individual .xml records. I'm figuring this out by myself with no training or support, so obviously I'm doing something very wrong, can anyone point me in the right direction?

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 18 Aug 2015 16:01

As mentioned in the first post here, the XML files are EcoSpold format. We'll probably have a version in Nexus soon btw. which should fit better to openLCA.

plevin

Post by plevin » 23 Feb 2016 19:14

The last post on this issue is from 2015. Has this been resolved yet? Also, is this data in EcoSpold 1 or 2 format?

Thanks!