Installation Difficulties

atabor

Installation Difficulties

Post by atabor » 01 Sep 2010 06:52

Dear openLCA, I'd appreciate some help installing and setting up. Firstly I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit.

What is the relationship between openLCA and Eclipse - is Eclipse purely for charting and presentation? Or must it be installed before using openLCA? I can not see "Eclipse for RCP/Plug-in Developers" so have downloaded Eclipse for RCP/RAP Developers (eclipse-rcp-helios-win32.zip) - is this correct? I have installed this version of Eclipse plus openLCA add-ins and source code as per your instructions.

When I execute openLCA it asks to connect to MySQL - I choose default connection but get the message: "java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\openLCA\workspace\bin\mysqld.exe (Access is denied)". There is no subdirectory called "Workspace" in my openLCA folder.

Please advise...

thanks Anthony

aciroth

Re: Installation Difficulties

Post by aciroth » 01 Sep 2010 14:56

Hi Anthony,

Eclipse is the development environment (ie the system we use for the programming openLCA). You need it for inspecting and working with the source code, and only for the source code. The recent "Eclipse IDE for Java and Report Developers" will work. Download and unzip the source code, and import it into Eclipse as a project; you can also just import using the 'files from the file system' option in Eclipse. Regarding the MySQL message: Maybe MySQL is blocked by a firewall?

For the executable program, you should download the zip archive with the binaries, for Windows (tested for all versions from Win XP onwards) the latest published version is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openlca ... p/download. For these, you do not need Eclipse at all.

Let me know if this helps!
Andreas

atabor

Post by atabor » 02 Sep 2010 06:59

Dear openLCA

I'm sorry but I am completely confused and don't understand your advice. I have disabled my firewall (Comodo) but now get an error message on startup of openLCA.

From what you say Eclipse is not necessary to run this version of openLCA and so aren't the source code and additional libraries irrelvant since they are only for use by eclipse?

I have downloaded and unzipped "openlca_bin_15Jan2010.zip" into a folder within \program files\. There are only two sub directories under the openLCA folder: "configuration" and "plugins" and there is no installation executable so how are the other necessary folders and files generated such as MySQL.exe?

Is there chance to speak with someone - I'm happy to call from Australia.

Regards

Anthony

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 02 Sep 2010 14:54

Anthony,
I am not sure whether I understand your problem. If you download and unzip the bin archive, you get this
openlca_directories.jpg
folder structure for the openlca application
openlca_directories.jpg (50.73 KiB) Viewed 9605 times
structure - the workspace is created during the first start. The MySQL database is integrated. OpenLCA is started by starting openlca.exe.
If you have further questions, you can PM or email me.
Thanks, Andreas

atabor

Post by atabor » 03 Sep 2010 03:44

The problem seemed to be that I unzipped openLCA into my C:\Program Files\ directory - when I moved the openLCA folder to another location outside of Program Files it started correctly and created the workspace directory etc. Perhaps you could make this explicit in your instructions?

The default database has several flows defined but there are no data - is this correct? Are there any databases which are easily imported into openLCA and any example projects to play around with in openLCA?

Thanks

Anthony

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 03 Sep 2010 13:33

Ah - it seems we solved it.
The problem seemed to be that I unzipped openLCA into my C:\Program Files\ directory
To unzip and execute anything directly in the program folder in WIn 7 or Vista 64 bit you will indeed need admin rights so you should unzip the archive somewhere else. And we should indeed mention that in the documentation.
Are there any databases which are easily imported into openLCA and any example projects
The installation does at present not contain process data. In the present version you can import any database with correct EcoSpold format implementation. Here http://greendeltatc.com/Datenbanken.119.0.html?&L=1 is an overview of some current databases.
The resources section at the openlca site contains some basic product systems to play with.

Success!
Andreas