Location of the database folder

pascal.lesage

Location of the database folder

Post by pascal.lesage » 04 Feb 2015 23:29

Hi,

In a Windows install, the default the database directory is created in the local user profile. Is it possible to move that database to another folder on the C drive?

Thanks
Pascal

SWinter

Selecting a new location for openLCA databases

Post by SWinter » 06 Feb 2015 15:52

as per default, the databases created in/imported to openLCA are saved in a folder under "Users". To set a new location for the database start by creating a new file on the C drive where you want to have the data saved in the future. Then, you can edit the "openLCA.ini" file contained in the openLCA folder with a text editor (e.g. Notepad, etc.) to direct the databases there by adding two new lines (as shown below).

1) create new folder in local disk (C:):

2) find the .ini file in the openLCA program folder and open it with notepad or a similar program:

3) change the file by adding two new lines. first line: '-olcaDataDir' (not olcaDatDir as in original post, edited by ac 14 Dec 17); second line: 'full directory path of new folder'. The directory can't be only C:\, it needs to be in a folder (e.g. C:\openlca):

Then, all new databases will be saved in the new folder. If other databases are already saved in Users, simply copy and paste them into the new folder. Then restart openLCA.

Hope this is helpful.

All the best,
Sarah

pascal.lesage

Re: Location of the database folder

Post by pascal.lesage » 06 Feb 2015 17:28

Extremely useful, many thanks.
Pascal

goOpen

Post by goOpen » 28 Oct 2016 21:25

Sorry for necrobumping, but I think it is relevant and this thread shows up as first result in search engines:

How is the above achievable in a Linux environment?

Tried the openLCA.ini but this yields a crash on startup.

Thanks a lot!

algae_tom

Post by algae_tom » 24 Nov 2017 11:44

Hello,

Bringing this thread back again :p

I want to set my path to another drive, but when I follow the above instructions but setting the folder as F:\OpenLCA\databases OpenLCA completely ignores me and sticks with the default in C:\

Any idea of a way around this?

Thanks,
Tom

gmajeaubettez

Post by gmajeaubettez » 13 Dec 2017 22:06

I have the same issue as goOpen and algae_tom: I would wish to set the path to the database on linux (e.g., /shared/databases), but my '-olcaDatDir' entry in openLCA.ini just seems to be ignored. An example of how to set this up on another drive than "C:" would be most useful.

thanks,
Guillaume

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 14 Dec 2017 11:55

Hi all,
sorry this doesn't work because of a typo in the older post: it should be -olcaDataDir.
See also here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=31909
I will edit the old post.
Thanks!