Can not start embedded MySQL server

hscottm

Can not start embedded MySQL server

Post by hscottm » 15 Nov 2013 21:21

I saw another post from January 2013 with this problem, but it did not look to have been solved.

Mysql is installed (and preference pane shows it is running), and I even changed the user password. JDK7 is also installed.

Here is log file entry:

Time Thread Level Category Message
0 main INFO org.openlca Log-level=ALL
2 main TRACE org.openlca.core.application.plugin.Activator Start application. Workspace: /Users/hsm/openLCA-data.
2 main TRACE org.openlca.core.application.plugin.Activator Bundle org.openlca.core.application started
2 main TRACE org.openlca.core.application.plugin.Activator Try init jblas
3 main TRACE org.openlca.jblas.Library try load jBlas from directory /Users/hsm/openLCA-data/jblas_1.1/Mac OS X/x86_64
5 main TRACE org.openlca.jblas.Library check loaded library
14 main TRACE org.openlca.core.application.plugin.Activator jblas loaded: true
14 main TRACE org.openlca.core.application.Preferences init preferences
16 main TRACE org.openlca.core.application.Preferences preference NUMBER_ACCURACY = 5
16 main TRACE org.openlca.core.application.ColorInit Initialize colors from /Users/hsm/openLCA-data/colors
18 main TRACE org.openlca.core.application.ColorInit Read color defaults from file /Users/hsm/openLCA-data/colors/chart_colors.txt
942 main INFO org.openlca Logging on console
1534 main INFO org.openlca.core.application.navigation.NavigationRoot Initialize navigation
1535 main TRACE org.openlca.core.application.db.ServerRegistry read provider file @ /Users/hsm/openLCA-data//provider.xml
1537 main TRACE org.openlca.core.database.plugin.Activator Bundle org.openlca.core.database started
1538 main TRACE org.openlca.core.application.db.ServerFile read providers from /Users/hsm/openLCA-data/provider.xml
1555 main TRACE org.openlca.core.application.db.ServerFile read provider MySQL
1607 main INFO org.openlca.core.application.navigation.NavigationRoot Initialize navigation
1826 Worker-1 TRACE org.openlca.core.application.update.UpdateCheckAndPrepareJob Automatic updates not enabled.
6325 main TRACE org.openlca.core.application.App execute UI job Connecting to(30)
6327 main TRACE org.openlca.core.application.db.ConnectionJob Start embedded server
6328 main ERROR org.openlca.core.application.db.ConnectionJob Could not start embedded MySQL server
6332 main ERROR org.openlca.core.application.db.ConnectionJob Error in server connection
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The folder /Applications is not a MySQL application directory.
at org.openlca.core.database.ServerApp.checkArgs(Unknown Source)
at org.openlca.core.database.ServerApp.<init>(Unknown Source)
at org.openlca.core.application.db.ConnectionJob.startEmbedded(Unknown Source)
at org.openlca.core.application.db.ConnectionJob.run(Unknown Source)
at org.openlca.core.application.WrappedUIJob$1.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
at org.openlca.core.application.WrappedUIJob.runInUIThread(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.ui.progress.UIJob$1.run(UIJob.java:95)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:135)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:3944)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3621)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2701)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2665)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2499)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:679)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:668)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.openlca.core.application.plugin.Application.start(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:353)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:180)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:629)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)

aciroth

Re: Can not start embedded MySQL server

Post by aciroth » 16 Nov 2013 11:52

Hi, the MySQL server user for the public openLCA version is 'root', password empty. If you changed this to other values then the connection will not work. That said, it is maybe good to link here the test document for the new version 1.4 where there is also an integrated database available that does not need to be started separately: http://www.openlca.org/c/document_libra ... upId=29861.

Best wishes,
Andreas

hscottm

Post by hscottm » 16 Nov 2013 17:49

It turns out I debugged this on my own, but thanks for making this part of the forum record.

The reason I changed the password is that the tutorial file posted at http://openlca.org/documentation/index. ... L_on_a_MAC implied I should change it. Why is this text on the Mac setup guide if we're not supposed to change it?
The root-user has no password initially. You can change this via the following commands in the MySQL console:
update mysql.user set Password=PASSWORD where User='root';
flush privileges;
I would suggest removing it to reduce confusion, or be more clear that this is an optional fyi for likely inexperienced mysql users.

Anyway again thanks for the quick help reply! Note I would be happy to help you organize a better Mac installation and usage guide, as there are various confusions and problems, as you have acknowledged in various places. I make this offer because I am writing a textbook on LCA, and plan to show demonstrations of how to access data and make small LCA models using openLCA. And if a teacher were to encourage students to install openLCA on their mac to do an assignment, its likely most of the students would be unable to complete it themselves.

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 17 Nov 2013 00:05

Thanks and I agree, we'll change it.
Interesting with the textbook - if you think we could be of help, please let us know.
Best wishes,
Andreas