Connecting openlca to other software

pierreC

Connecting openlca to other software

Post by pierreC » 03 Jul 2013 11:56

Dear openlca users,

I would like to know if it possible to connect openlca with other software, such as aspen for example.
Is the development of a COM interface, like in Simparo Developer, also possible ?

Thank you for your answer

Best regards

Pierre

aciroth

Re: Connecting openlca to other software

Post by aciroth » 03 Jul 2013 16:15

Hello Pierre,
yes that is possible; even easier than with a COM interface since you have full access to the code. We have connected openLCA successfully e.g. to Enovia. Please contact us if you are interested, also if you are interested to develop a solution on your own.
Thank you!
Andreas

mherling

Post by mherling » 03 Jun 2014 09:29

Hey guys,

I know this thread is quite old, but I´m interested in what has happened so far in external software integration. If reawakening this is unwanted, just ignore ...

Similar to Pierre I want to build a connection between openLCA and process simulation tools like aspen, ebsilon, chemcad, ... So far I was thinking about writing externally calculated flow qualities (temperature, pressure, chemical composition, ...) directly to the underlaying openLCA SQL database. Part of this plan is the Kepler workflow system, which would serve as a platform for building complex process simulations including various tools and organising the data transfer between them.

However, before really putting a lot of effort into this, I wanted to ask for your appreciated opinions.

Regards,

Martin

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 03 Jun 2014 20:17

Hi Martin,
interesting! If you take the openLCA 1.4 database structure, this will remain stable for a while. There are some minor changes compared to the beta 3 from January, so maybe it is good to wait for the final release which I expect end of this week. For details you can contact us directly.
The Kepler workflow system is this, https://kepler-project.org, correct?
Maybe we should exchange here..
Cheers
Andreas

mherling

Post by mherling » 05 Jun 2014 12:45

Hi Andreas,

I´ll wait for the new version then! Will there be a kind of developer documentation on how the tables in the database are organised? Is it possible to add new tables? I´m asking because it seems to me there´s only one flow property allowed which is used as reference, and all others depend on it via conversion factors?

about Kepler:
You found the right resource. But including it is not a must, assuming there´s a more elegant way of organising the iterative! calculation procedure and managing dataflows. This is just the first solution I came up with after a quick search...

Greetings,

Martin

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 06 Jun 2014 09:59

Hi Martin,
it seems we will have a developer training for openLCA in mid-July in Berlin, in English language. Contact us please if you are interested.
Best
Andreas

CHISQUARE

Post by CHISQUARE » 17 Jan 2015 14:42

Interesting topic it would be very good to know more about the database structure

I would also like to know if you have actually succeded furthering this kind of integration for flowsheeting and iteration and in optimisation ( Kepler GAMS etc )

Are we to assume that the Derby database is a 10.10.1.1 version in betaversions too and that we wil be notified of changes in the Derby versioning and structure

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 25 Jan 2015 16:38

that we wil be notified of changes in the Derby versioning and structure
- we always try to keep the database structure stable and only revise when really needed. However of course we cannot guarantee that nothing changes. Therefore if you plan to build something on top of / linked to openLCA, then please contact us and we can coordinate. Thank you!

Andreas