WARM Version 14 for OpenLCA / EBC Development

wmgermain

WARM Version 14 for OpenLCA / EBC Development

Post by wmgermain » 08 Jul 2016 23:59

Hello,

I am a US-based sustainability consultant (Denver, CO) currently training with the software and the DataSmart database for LCA related project work. I'm interested in modeling waste management scenarios for municipal waste (municipal compost, recycling, and landfill) in the Denver-Boulder region of Colorado. I have two related questions: (1) I read in a Detailed life cycle assessment of Bounty® paper towel operations in the United States (W Ingwersen et al. 2016) that an OpenLCA version of WARM was developed. However, I could not find this in OpenLCA Nexus. Is it available for download? (2) Additionally, I would like to know if anyone might offer advice for building an environmental benefits calculator along the lines of MEBCalc http://zerowaste.com/mebcalc/ in OpenLCA?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Bill

aciroth

Re: WARM Version 14 for OpenLCA / EBC Development

Post by aciroth » 09 Jul 2016 14:44

Hello Bill,
thank you for your questions -
1) WARM - openLCA is a software tool that has not been released yet, we developed this for US EPA, but I think I can tell that plans are to release it.
2) if I understand the MEBCalc tool correctly, it uses a life cycle approach specifically for waste management, with specific requirements for the modeling and with specific data, which, at first inspection, all seem possible to integrate into openLCA, maybe even directly (without tool modification) using a specific LCIA method and database?
Best wishes,
Andreas

wmgermain

Post by wmgermain » 10 Jul 2016 20:57

Hi Andreas,

Thanks so much for your reply. I would be interested to learn when WARM might be available for OpenLCA. Is there any way that I might keep apprised of any progress in this regard?

As for MEBCalc, your understanding of the Excel-based calculator is no doubt correct. The currently published version of MEBCalc uses older versions of WARM (v. 11) and TRACI (v. 2.0) and cites a wide range of sources for conversion factors used in the calculator. My interest would be to basically recreate the calculator in OpenLCA using the most recent versions of WARM and TRACI databases and conversion factors, but with a more regionalized approach to modeling -- to better reflect waste management infrastructure and practices in the Front Range Region of Colorado. It's good to know that my idea is at least conceptually sound!

Incidentally, I would most likely use the DataSmart database for modeling and the ES method (included in DataSmart) for LCIA.

Thanks again for your advice!

Best,

Bill

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 11 Jul 2016 18:24

Thank you Bill, I have checked now and we are planning a public release of openLCA/WARM this autumn.
Best wishes,
Andreas

wmgermain

Post by wmgermain » 20 Dec 2016 22:16

Hello Andreas,

I hope this message finds you well. Are there any updates regarding WARM for OpenLCA?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

Kind regards,

Bill