Data from the literature

malonso

Data from the literature

Post by malonso » 09 Dec 2015 10:31

Hi!
I need to asses the global warming potential of a product. In the database there is not all the flows I need so I found in the literature more data, but I don't know how to add it. I have the value of the GWP of each material (kg CO2 eq/kg material), and the mass, for example: potassium hydroxide 1.9 kg CO2 eq/kg material and 0.8 kg.
I tried this:
- create a new flow: potassium hydroxide
- references flow property: select mass and the data (0.8 kg)
- flow properties: select mass CO2 equivalents and add the data (1.9 kg CO2 eq/kg )
- add potassium hydroxide as an input of a process
- create a product system of that process
- calculate the GWP
it does not work, because in the results there is not the CO2 associated to the new flow created (potassium hydroxide).

does anyone know how to do it, or if is it explained in any tutorial or something? because I checked the videos on the youtube channel and the manual and I did not find and answer.

Thanks in advanced

Best,
Maite

aciroth

Re: Data from the literature

Post by aciroth » 09 Dec 2015 12:42

Hi Maite,
this is indeed explained, e.g. in the user manual of openLCA, http://www.openlca.org/documents/14826/ ... 021a8aa7e7, or also in the videos (!). In the manual, adding a flow to a process is explained on p. 31 for example. Once you have added the flow, you need to update the LCIA method too so that the method is aware of the flow. Maybe you could start here: http://www.openlca.org/learnmore.
Hth,
Andreas

malonso

Re: Data from the literature

Post by malonso » 10 Dec 2015 14:10

Thank you very much, I achieved what I wanted. Creating a new process in which I add an elementary flow (carbon dioxide) with de data of emissions. I checked the results of the GWP of the product and are correct.

Best,
Maite