Compatibility - Ecoinvent V2 and V3?

AdB

Compatibility - Ecoinvent V2 and V3?

Post by AdB » 24 Feb 2018 17:29

Hi,

I hope the question haven't been asked before, I didn't find anything on the forum.

Here is my question : I want to use a complex process (many many many flows) developed on OpenLCA with EcoInvent V2 in a LCA project I modeled on OpenLCA 1.4 with EcoInvent V3. I tried to import the json export in my model but the process doesn't appear, only few flows.

Is it possible to make it work, and if yes how?

Thanks in advance for the help !

Anne

aciroth

Re: Compatibility - Ecoinvent V2 and V3?

Post by aciroth » 25 Feb 2018 15:13

Hi Anne,
I am not too sure about openLCA 1.4 but in 1.6.3 and better even 1.7, you should be able to import the process; the JSON-LD has been extended in the later versions. What the released openLCA version so far does not contain is an option to overwrite, add as copy, or similar, this will be included in 1.7 (non-beta) which we will release next week. This could be useful if you have a product flow with different flow property in the ei 2 process.
Hth,
Andreas

AdB

Post by AdB » 26 Feb 2018 14:16

Hi Andreas,

Thank you so much for your quick and detail answer as usual.
So I understand you suggest me to :
(1) import my project from OpenLCA 1.4 to version 1.6 or 7 (with an EcoInvent V3 database version)
(2) then to import in this project my process (+ flows) made of EcoInvent V2 flows.

Is that right?

Thank you again for your help.

Anne

AdB

Post by AdB » 28 Feb 2018 11:15

Dear community,

The process explained above actually works, just be carefull if you created sub-processes and processes, you can't just export then import processes and related flows, you also need to export-import all sub-processes related to your processes. If not, sub-flows are not taken into account, and you will obtain underestimated impacts (for me, on a process of car tire I created, it implied a 30% underestimation of environmental impacts, so it can be really really bad for your assessment quality !). OpenLCA software said there was a failure in the calculation though, so just be careful about all that.

Best,

Anne

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 02 Mar 2018 09:54

Thank you Anne for this addition. You are right. in case you have a product system that contains all your processes, then you can also directly import this since it will also import the processes.
Best wishes