Page 1 of 1

Automating openLCA software for data exchange with excel

Posted: 02 Jan 2015 15:33
by Pratham
I plan to carry out a Multi-Objective Optimization using a VB code embedded in Excel. I am looking forward to connect the openLCA software to Excel for automated data exchange. The LCA results would form one of the objective, which would be calculated by openLCA based on parameters recieved from excel. I would be grateful if anyone could comment on viability of such an automated data exchange.

Re: Automating openLCA software for data exchange with excel

Posted: 02 Jan 2015 19:40
by aciroth
Hello Pratham,
that sounds interesting and also feasible - we'd be happy to receive further feedback from you. You could also use the new scripting features in openLCA (Python, Javascript).
Best wishes,
Andreas
2015-01-02 18_38_12-openLCA 1.4.1 beta 7.png
2015-01-02 18_38_12-openLCA 1.4.1 beta 7.png (10.42 KiB) Viewed 8576 times

Re: Automating openLCA software for data exchange with excel

Posted: 03 Jan 2015 12:51
by Pratham
Hi Andreas

Thanks for your reply. I am quite new to python and its operation linked to openLCA. I would be grateful if you could share an example depicting the use of Developer tools.

Re: Automating openLCA software for data exchange with excel

Posted: 03 Jan 2015 13:11
by aciroth
Hi Pratham,
such a tutorial is definitely on our list.
Thanks for pointing to this.
Best
Andreas

- Python is quite a standard language, and explained in detail e.g. here: https://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/; however we are working on a tutorial to show the interaction with openLCA

Re: Automating openLCA software for data exchange with excel

Posted: 09 Jan 2015 13:08
by Pratham
Hi Andreas

Thanks again for the reply. I am interested to know, if the OpenLCA also customizes the software for the users like including the features we have been discussing above.

Re: Automating openLCA software for data exchange with excel

Posted: 09 Jan 2015 15:03
by aciroth
Hi Pratham,
yes we definitely do this - many of the recent features are added by projects that are suggested (and most often also paid) by openLCA users. If you see a possibility, please contact me directly, many thanks in advance.
Best wishes,
Andreas

Re: Automating openLCA software for data exchange with excel

Posted: 22 Jan 2015 16:59
by CHISQUARE
aciroth wrote:Hello Pratham,
that sounds interesting and also feasible - we'd be happy to receive further feedback from you. You could also use the new scripting features in openLCA (Python, Javascript).
Best wishes,
Andreas
2015-01-02 18_38_12-openLCA 1.4.1 beta 7.png
Does that mean that python scripting is already impelemented in the 1.4.1 version ? If so which version 2 * or 3 *

Re: Automating openLCA software for data exchange with excel

Posted: 25 Jan 2015 14:03
by CHISQUARE
Pratham wrote:Hi Andreas

Thanks for your reply. I am quite new to python and its operation linked to openLCA. I would be grateful if you could share an example depicting the use of Developer tools.
A tutorial would be lovely and indeed perhaps in the form of notebooks

Re: Automating openLCA software for data exchange with excel

Posted: 25 Jan 2015 16:34
by aciroth
Dear all,
as said, python scripting is implemented in openLCA 1.4.1, try on the openLCA menu window / developer tools / pyton. A tutorial is under preparation.
Best,
Andreas

Re: Automating openLCA software for data exchange with excel

Posted: 26 May 2016 18:37
by framomo4
Pratham wrote:I plan to carry out a Multi-Objective Optimization using a VB code embedded in Excel. I am looking forward to connect the openLCA software to Excel for automated data exchange. The LCA results would form one of the objective, which would be calculated by openLCA based on parameters recieved from excel. I would be grateful if anyone could comment on viability of such an automated data exchange.
I also wonder about this feature, because MO optimization is of my interest. Despite being at an earlier stage getting to know how openLCA works with regionalised LCA and other features, I wonder how such connection would enable optimised designs. That is, optimization present restrictions or conditons so numerous iterations would be needed between openLCA and VBA/MATLAB to verify that the design with least embodied impacts (whatever you want..) responds to a feasible/viable design.

Francisca Molina
framomo4@upvnet.upv.es
Research Assistant
Department of Infrastructures and Transportation Engineering
Department of Construction and Civil Engineering Projects
Technical University of Valencia