Uncertainty and LCC

Frida Hermansson

Uncertainty and LCC

Post by Frida Hermansson » 14 Jul 2014 10:29

We are doing an LCC-model for an energy system. We want to know how different energy prices affect the total lifecyclecost of different energy sources. We want, for example, to test different energy prices using the uncertainty function. We have tried to change the uncertainty function both in the process and in the impact method without seeing any results. Any suggestions on how to go about?

aciroth

Re: Uncertainty and LCC

Post by aciroth » 14 Jul 2014 11:59

Dear Frida,
hm can you maybe post more details? How did you implement LCC and how did you implement then the uncertainty for the costs (and in which version of openLCA)?
Thanks!
Andreas

Frida Hermansson

Post by Frida Hermansson » 14 Jul 2014 14:14

Hey Andreas,

What I have done is to add different costs to the different processes in the energy system where some costs are dependent on the electricity price and some are not. To calculate the effect of inflation, different impact methods have been created that multiplies the running costs of the system with a certain factor that corresponds to the effect of the inflation rate during the lifetime. What I want to do is to add a function that tries different electricity prices for each impact method. To do this I have put the electricity price as a global parameter that is multiplied to some of the costs in the processes. Then I have tried to use the uniform uncertainty function to see how different electricity prices effect the life cycle cost of the system for different inflation rates. But I cant see that the added uncertainty is changing the result. I am using openLCA 1.4.

Thanks
/Frida

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 16 Jul 2014 10:57

Dear Frida,
sorry for a somewhat later reply - what you describe sounds good to me. However when I do the same I can't reproduce the behaviour you describe. Can you maybe share your product system or database (export as zolca)? If yes then please send this to my greendelta email.
Thanks and best wishes,
Andreas