Search Flows and Processes + Allocation method

KurtLeon

Search Flows and Processes + Allocation method

Post by KurtLeon » 03 Nov 2013 10:47

Hi, I'm new with OpenLCA and I have 3 questions:
1. Is it possible to search for flows and processes direct in OpenLCA? e.g. if I'm looking for "aluminium", is it possible to type in the search-term?
2. When I'm creating a new process, I can specify a "allocation method" What does this mean? Is it necessary to specify it?
3. Last but not least I would be interested, if it's possible to get detailed information about a process, without making a product system out of it? Sometimes I have to choice which process I will use, but detailed information is not available.

I hope, somebody can answer my questions. Thank you very much!

aciroth

Re: Search Flows and Processes + Allocation method

Post by aciroth » 03 Nov 2013 14:15

Hello Kurt,
welcome! Well we offer trainings for openLCA (http://www.openlca.org/trainings) but
-> 1 there is a search window
-> 2 no if your process has only one product
-> 3 you can simply look at the process and its inputs and outputs?
Hth,
Andreas

KurtLeon

Post by KurtLeon » 04 Nov 2013 17:09

Thank you for the prompt reply!
1. great! thank you - i haven't found it myself!
2. and what if a process has more products?
3. yes, I can have a look at the processes, but if I would like to know the fossil energy consumption of a flow or a process, I have to make a produktsystem out of it. Do you know what I mean?
Thank you very much for your answers!

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 06 Nov 2013 01:35

;)
-> 2: if the process has more than one product you need allocation (or system expansion). Please check LCA books for details (or, we offer trainings if you are interested)
-> 3: sometimes you can recognise from the flow if it is fossil energy or not; if you rather want to assess the energy content you need indeed apply an LCIA method and therefore need to build a product system with this LCIA method.
Hth,
Andreas