Allocation Methods

Michela_Gioacchini

Allocation Methods

Post by Michela_Gioacchini » 05 Aug 2010 15:36

Hi, I'm working with OpenLCA for my thesis and I'm having some difficulties in the product systems' part.
I cannot find the Sankey diagram tab, I don't know why I don't have it...
And I am not sure about how the Allocation methods work, setting "None" or "As defined in processes" or "Economic" or "Causal" I have the same results, "Physical" allocation is the only different one.
Can anyone of you help me?
Thanks a lot,
Michela

aciroth

Re: Allocation Methods

Post by aciroth » 07 Aug 2010 00:50

Hi Michela,
- the sankey diagram will be new in the new Release Candidate (will be out next week);
- the allocation methods are explained in the help and in the online documentation (here: http://openlca.org/documentation/index. ... _processes)
Usually you set the allocation method on the process level, for multi-output processes; a setting in the product system allows you to overwrite these settings in order to have a consistent allocation throughout your product system.
On the process level, causal allocation allows you to specify any allocation factor between different flows, and products; physical allocation calculates the factors automatically based on mass and energy; and economic allocation works only if you have economic flow properties.

note: I corrected the link today

mptsang

Post by mptsang » 28 May 2014 08:16

Hello,

For my process which has two output products, I can't seem to apply any allocation with openLCA. Do I have to designate somehow that my process is multioutput? Because in the properties tab it does not show or give me options for allocation factors of any of the output flows.

Best

Michael

aciroth

Post by aciroth » 28 May 2014 09:35

Hi Michael,
the link in the above post wasn't working any more - please check now. Now need to declare a process as multi-output, openLCA automatically recognises this as soon as you have more than one product in the output.
Cheers