Chlorine characterization factor in ReCiPe & UseTox

jsenan

Chlorine characterization factor in ReCiPe & UseTox

Post by jsenan » 16 Apr 2018 15:58

Good morning,

I am studying a recycling system.

First impact method I have used was ReCiPe. Results suggested that the system is sensitive to chlorine emissions to air and water in toxicological categories (Recipe H-Midpoint).

Later, I decided to change it to ILCD impact method. It seemed more interesting for European context.

However, new results did not suggest the same. Toxicological ILCD categories are calculated with Usetox model. And it does not have any characterization factor related to chlorine emissions. I have checked it in original ILCD and USEtox websites and they are not

For me it is strange the omission of one of, probably, one of the most important pollutants emitted (in amount and toxicity).

I don´t know how to treat it. Can be interesting calculated? Can it be any reliable source where can it appear? Is there any reason for its omission or exclusion?

Thank you very much for your time

aciroth

Re: Chlorine characterization factor in ReCiPe & UseTox

Post by aciroth » 24 Apr 2018 11:11

Hi and welcome,

it is not uncommon that different methods have different factors for the same flow, in a seemingly similar impact category. For chlorine, you have it indeed in ReCipe midpoint but not in ILCD, e.g. in the category freshwater ecotoxicity.

We are about to release a new LCIA package btw. for openLCA quite soon, with updated and quite extended methods, which does not really solve your point though.

Best wishes,
Andreas